Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Wednesday

Jay: Hello?
A.: Hey, I'm at Park St.
Jay: I don't see you...
A.: I'm just coming up the stairs. I'll never complain about the Metro again. At least not for two weeks.
Jay: I'm at Winter Street.
A.: I don't see you...
Jay: Oh, there you are. I was thrown, because I was expecting this huge person based on all the blogging. But you're not fat and you don't have Hagrid hair.
A.: Who knew, right?

***
Another well-practiced system my parents and I have is my taking the T to Harvard Square and their picking me up across Storrow Drive, a ten minute walk from the T stop and a slightly longer drive from their house. We've been doing this for years.

Mom: Hello?
A.: Hi. I'm just about to leave downtown...
Mom: Oh, are you done stuffing your face?

In her defense, the word she used isn't quite that crude, but it's close. I'd told her Jay and I were going to have lunch or get coffee, depending on the time.

A.: We ended up going for a walk instead. Anyway, is it alright if I T to Harvard Square rather than Newton Highlands? Since we've plans tonight, I'm afraid the green line would take too long.
Mom: No, not Harvard Square!
A.: Oh, okay.
Mom: I mean, across the bridge, where I always get you.
A.: Yes, that's what I meant when I said Harvard Square.
Mom: You know, across...
A.: Yes, I know. I'm leaving now.

***
This morning

Mom: Well?
A.: I'm ready when you are.
Mom: Where are my keys?

Mom: Okay, I've got my keys. Well?
A.: Are you ready?
Mom: Do I need bags?
A.: I don't think so.
Mom: Oh, my hat.

Mom: Well, am I going to keep waiting for you all morning?
A.: Are you ready?
Mom: I've been ready.
A.: Okay, I'm getting up.
Mom: Should I take this jacket or this coat?
A.: I don't know, mom.
Mom: Okay, I'm ready.

No comments: