Friday, December 25, 2009

Never get involved in a land war in Asia

Westley: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: Wait til I get going!
-The Princess Bride

...
In the car, on the way to the river for a walk.

Mom: I have to stop at practically every light. Those local planners, they pay them six figures, and they can't even synchronize the lights. Third-world countries can synchronize their traffic lights. But those overpaid people in city hall... once you get government involved, everything is ineffective. It's not hard to synchronize traffic lights. Six-figure salaries, they pay those people--and for what?? I went to a workshop on this ages ago--when you involve government, the feedback loop is broken and nothing functions effectively. Government can't do anything right. And that's where your corrupt Obama is taking this country: to government ownership of everything. Pandering to unions--unions are just rotten, corrupt, despicable. And that ACORN! Who trained them? Community Organizers. So there!

Pause

Mom: Why are you so quiet?
A: I've got nothing.
Mom: Really?
A.: I have nothing to say at this level of discourse.
Mom: Ooooh, ooooh...
Dad: She has a point. You're not going to persuade anyone that way.
Mom; I'm not trying to persuade anyone...
Dad: You're just ranting, then. When 'despicable' is the word you use most often, it doesn't reflect well on the substance of your argument.
Mom: I am simply stating my opinion. And you agree with me! It's just when A.'s here, you have to defend her!
Dad: What does this have to do with A.? You had the same fight with Misha and I said the same thing.
Mom: Well, I was right then, too.
Dad: Then make your argument in a way that's persuasive.

We arrive, get out of the car. Mom continues to rant. Dad and I laugh.

Dad: She's 90 percent right, you know.
A.: [Shrug]
Mom: Who trained ACORN? What do you think of that?
A.: Mom, it's beautiful here. Could we just focus on the scenery.
Mom: Fine. I've said everything I have to say.

No comments: