Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Phone calls

Earlier tonight

A.: Mom, do you have wireless internet?
Mom: Technically, yes, but I haven't managed to make it work. Maybe you can help me with that.
A.: Well, I'd like to know beforehand whether or not to bring my laptop.
Mom: There's a problem with the network key--my laptop wouldn't take it. But it's something we can figure out together.
A.: I don't need to bring my laptop; I will if I'll be able to connect to the internet, but I won't if I can't.
Mom: We can always turn off the security settings.
A.: No, not worth it.
Mom: You can help me figure it out.
A.: Yes, but I need to know ahead of time whether or not to bring my computer.
Mom: It's not like you need to bring anything else, although you'll have plenty of stuff to take back. You're getting in late morning? We'll go straight to Xmas Tree Shops from the airport.
A.: Mom!
Mom: It's on the way!
A.: No, it isn't.
Mom: It's sort of on the way. They have these great vacuum cleaners.
A.: I have all the vacuum cleaners I need.
Mom: These are really good. Is yours heavy?
A.: No.
Mom: Well, I'd like you to see them.
A.: Thanks for warning me ahead of time.

***
Over the weekend

Dad: We went to see a simulcast of the Metropolitan Opera. It was great--it's too bad there won't be another while you're here. It's unfortunate that you don't live in a city with a lot of things like that.
A.: Um, there's plenty of opera in Washington.
Dad: But it's probably not the same.
A.: Um...
Dad: I mean, it may be more amateur. You don't get world-class visiting acts...
A.: Do you know who the director of the National Opera is?
Dad: No... Someone well known?
A.: Placido Domingo.
Mom: Yeah, but that's the director. We're talking about the performers.
A.: Okay, first of all, the director has plenty to do with attracting performers. Second, do you think Placido Domingo would associate himself with, much less manage, a substandard opera house?
Mom: In any case, it's just not the same.
A.: [Shrug]

This was not an argument I cared to fight to the end. I mean, it's hilarious that my parents have no concept of the prestige of the Kennedy Center/the National Opera and even more so that they thus assume that there's nothing going on here and kindly offer their sympathies. And clearly they'd rather not understand the concept, so I'm not going to argue with them.

The other thing is--the quality of performances at the Kennedy Center notwithstanding--you don't have to live in a major metropolitan area and have a prestigious art center to have access to great performances. Yes, the Met is amazing, as is the KC, but it's not like most of the rest of the country lives in a cultural wasteland (well, at least not geographically. Kidding! Kind of).

No comments: