Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tuesday dinner

Sigh.

Now, every time I opt not to eat something, my mother says something like, "what, is it not sustainable enough?" It's pretty funny, actually, because she does it with foods she knows I've never liked (see: herring). I know: I'm expecting mature, respectful discourse from someone who says, in all seriousness, "you won't be able to find those kinds of deals once Obama destroys Walmart."

It's not that we haven't had the "why don't you want sour cream in your soup" conversation EVERY TIME we've had soup, for many years at least. It's that that same conversation has taken an even more annoying turn.

Mom: No sour cream in your soup?
A.: No, thanks.
Mom: What's wrong with sour cream? Not sustainable?
A.: Don't like it in my soup. Never have.

Mom: Mmmm, this basa is good. And very environmentally incorrect, apparently.

Pause

Mom: Right?
A.: Right.
Dad: I thought it was a wild fish?
A.: Farm-raised in Vietnam. Swims in human manure and pesticides. And other toxins. Is pumped full of antibiotics.
Mom: So? I think the way to handle toxins is to train your body to take what it needs and secrete the rest. Talk to your body, tell it to do that.
Dad: People in Vietnam probably have other things to worry about.
A.: First of all, it's not farmed for domestic consumption; it's farmed for export.
Dad: [Shrug]
A.: I'm just saying. I mean, you asked.

***
A.: Aren't these lentils good?
Dad: They are.
Mom: Blah, blah, blah.
A.: What?
Dad: No, they are good. And it's impressive: I can't believe that small amount of lentils you bought has lasted this long.
A.: Exactly--it's such a great convenience food: saute it in a bit of oil, add water and boil, at salt and pepper and a bit of cumin if you have it, and you have a side for a week.
Mom: You're not going to convince me to give up basa for lentils.
A.: I'm... not... trying to convince you. We're just talking about the lentils.

***
Mom: Did you not find the feta?
A.: I did, it's in there.
Mom: No olives?
A.: There are plenty of olives in the salad.
Mom: I see half of one.

Pause

Mom: Okay, I see more olives.

Pause

Mom: Actually, the salad is really good.
A.: Thank you.

Pause

Mom: Hmmm... it is really good. What did you season it with?
A.: Balsamic vinegar, garlic and black pepper. And some pine nuts. You didn't have any salad oil that wasn't rancid, so I didn't add any. I figured the feta would add enough moisture and salt.
Mom: It worked. I'll give you that.
A.: I didn't realize it was a test.
Mom: Good thing you don't have issues with feta.
A.: [Shrug]

No comments: