Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mommy Queerest

Here's another one of those I'm-so-glad-I-got-off-my-partially-purple-@$$-and-saw-this-play posts: Mommy Queerest was excellent. I don't know if non-Jews would enjoy it as much, but I'd recommend it to anyone nonetheless, and to Jews especially. It definitely hit home--occasionally on specifics (wow, my mom has said that same exact thing!) but more often in concept (wow, my mom and other Jewish moms have a similar flair for just that kind of absurdity and non sequitur).

There was this great line, as quoted in the linked review: "We had two types of communication: screaming and not talking to each other." She also mentioned the well-established Jewish family tradition of never talking about anything substantive. But really, it was the theme of the play--the whole drive behind her desire to have her own show, which evolved from her wanting to jump into the tv as a child, because those families were so different from hers. So blond, straight, unfrizzy. And the act--which is more stand-up than play--takes us through how that desire for her own show has evolved since, to something more profound and real and confident.

No comments: