Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tuesday afternoon

Mom: When did you first gain weight?
A.: You first started telling me that I gained weight, in five-minute intervals, four-and-a-half years ago.
Mom: Well, you've gained even more weight since then.

Earlier, just after we got back from our walk

Mom: Would you like half of this kiwi?
A.: No, thank you.
Mom: What did kiwis do to offend you? What's wrong with kiwis?
A.: Nothing. I just don't want one.

[Pause]

Mom: What's wrong with kiwis? Why are kiwis forbidden?
A.: Kiwis are forbidden?
Mom: You won't have any.
A.: I don't want any.
Mom: Why not?
A.: Because I just had an apple and that's all I want right now.
Mom: Oh.

Mom has continually (1) asked me whether I eat random plant-based foods that come to mind; (2) asked me, when I happen to not want a plant-based food, what's wrong with it; and (3) frame my eating choices as an issue of what's forbidden. I've continually reframed as "I choose not to eat that."

This morning

Mom: You can't have cheese.
A.: I choose not to eat cheese.

Yesterday

Mom: You only have veggie sausage because you can't have real sausage.
A.: I choose not to have "real" sausage. If I wanted to, I would have it. Besides, there's nothing more real about turning meat into sausage than turning tofu into sausage.
Dad: The tofu sausage is really not bad.

***
Check out what we saw on our walk:

No comments: