Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Phone call (from Sunday afternoon)

Mom: Do you have a minute?
A.: Yeah.
Mom: So, we went to see a live telecast of the Metropolitan Opera. You don't have that, right? Anyway, it was Goethe's "Faust." I didn't care for the production, but the music was phenomenal, so it's probably worth seeing if you have the chance.
A.: Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Mom: You should really read the book. We used to have an excellent translation, I'll look for it or see if I can acquire another one.
A.: That's alright--I'm sure I can find a copy in English.
Mom: No, you should read this translation.
A.: It's a German book. I don't need to read it in Russian.
Mom: Why not read it in Russian? Would it hurt to read it in Russian?
A.: I would get more out of it if I read it in English.
Mom: But this is an excellent translation, and I have to tell you, translation counts for a lot. Believe me.
A.: I know that translation counts for a lot.
Mom: Why do you have to take on that tone? Why can't you just say things?
A.: I'm not reading a Russian translation of "Faust."
Mom: Why not try it.
A.: Is said no, mom.
Mom: Why do you have to be so rude?
A.: Because you don't understand polite. The only time you actually register what I'm saying is when I finally take on a tone. The rest of the time you just keep arguing with me.
Mom: That's no reason to take a tone.
A.: Fine.
Mom: Have you considered getting a small backup generator?
A.: No.
Mom: They're very handy. I was trying to convince your father that we needed one. You should also keep your eye out for one. They go on sale.
A.: Okay.

No comments: