Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve: Making Dinner

Mom decided to fry up more mushrooms. I started smelling bacon.

A.: Are you using that frying pan? Dad fried bacon in it this morning. Please don't put those mushrooms in the soup!
Mom: Oh, please!
A.: Fine, I'll set aside the mushrooms that are already ready.
Mom: You're being ridiculous! Who cares?
A.: I care.
Mom: Someone fried bacon in this pan at some point in history! So what?
A.: Someone fried bacon in this pan this morning, and the bacon's still there.
Mom: So what? It's just a trace. It's one thing not to eat animals, but who cares what the mushrooms are fried in.
A.: I care. I care. I'm not asking you to care. I'm asking you to respect that I care and thus not fry things that I'm going to eat, in animal products.
Mom: Grrrrr.
A.: Keep growling. I'm going to go listen to my meditation.

I did. Mom kept growling, muttering. When dad came in, she complained to him.

Dad: Well, she doesn't eat animal products.
Mom: It's not even an animal product.
Dad: Yes it is. If she doesn't eat animal products, she doesn't eat animal products.
Mom: It's ridiculous.
Dad: That's not our problem.
Mom: Grrrrr.

No comments: