Friday, December 23, 2011

Spoke too soon, it's both

We're getting a "you've put on weight" every twenty minutes or so. As for the "real writers just write," it's just a continuous, non-stop flow.

I was just putting on my shoes (we're finally leaving the house!) when mom started going on.

Mom: Real writers, it comes to them. They can't not do it, and their works write themselves. Pushkin cried when he had to kill of Gherman, but he had to do it. People who write, just write.

So I'm basically going to be lectured about this for the next week or so from someone who can barely put two sentences together (including in her own language).

This is a source of resentment for me because this fallacy of my mother's is one reason it took me so long to start writing. I don't believe it, I don't want to hear it, and I don't need her to keep repeating it over and over and over again.

No comments: