Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday morning roundup

Permafrost is in danger of melting, with catastrophic consequences. That said, I could have done without the frozen-broccoli analogy. Can't say that was helpful. In other potentially catastrophic climate news: it's decision time on the Keystone Pipeline, and there's a lot at stake.

Willie Nelson says Occupy the food system.

Gail Collins on the state of reproductive rights.

Look, you know that I don't think motherhood entitles you to take over the world. I recently got into an argument with a woman whose giant stroller was blocking a congested, narrow passageway inside a holiday market. Do I think she's entitled to take her kid anywhere, just because she feels like it? That's the wrong question... she may be technically entitled, but it's pretty f*ing inconsiderate, and she's not beyond snarky commentary just because she's given birth. But I digress. My point is, I will give clueless parents crap for letting their kids run wild in supermarkets and restaurants; I'll give them crap for parking their strollers in crowded places; I'll give them crap for not even trying to calm down their screaming babies on planes. Now that we've established my anti-entitled-parent cred, let me tell you what all mothers are entitled to do: feed their child without being asked to relocate. Why the hell do the errant security guards think these moms are (somewhat) exposing their breasts? Because they feel like it? Because they're bored? WTF?

Nathan Englander's awesome fiction piece in the New Yorker.

Speaking of awesome, Loudon County's holiday display features some pastafarian flare this year.

1 comment:

artistchiq said...

The question isn't so much "is she entitled to take her child anywhere" but " should giant strollers (or strollers in general) be banned from certain places?" I say yes and I have definitely seen ads for things like a CHILDREN'S consignment sale where strollers are not allowed. Even though I am the mother of a small child I don't think that I have the right to block other people with a stroller...but that's part of why we are friends. (ps I think strollers should be banned, like bikes, from the metro at rush hour.)