Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wednesday evening roundup

OMG this is so spot-on. I live near the projects--and have lived near various projects over the last six years-- so I get plenty of ice cream truck music, and it drives me up the f*ing wall. I'd like to enjoy a summer evening without ice cream truck music.

However, I find it unfortunate that parents feel like they have to issue disclaimers, proclaim themselves non-health nuts. I am *not* an effete organic food zealot with too much free time on my hands, in case you've thought otherwise, and I really wish organics would shed that image (and the premium). In this age of obesity and fake food, it's okay to want to exercise some choices over what you and your kids eat. Doing so should not be shunned as a symbol of snobbery or smuggery (like it is in the Corn Refiners Association ads). Besides, it is, after all, the poor that are baring the brunt of the results of our food system.

A very interesting history of home ownership in America. Among other things, this article touches on the extent to which we are unaware of "the government's invisible hand."

These Letters to the Editor in response to the Times' pieces on women in combat make some very good points. I didn't post the original articles because they're quite long, but they're worth a read (and linked from the letters).

Anne Applebaum's excellent piece on what's at stake in Afghanistan's election.

Grist reviews "The Cove":
Japan buys off tiny, impoverished nations like Dominica, St. Kitts, and the Marshall Islands, plying them with expensive building projects in exchange for backing for Japan’s continued violation of IWC regulations. The sense that this official bribery is a practice not unique to Japan calls into question whether international policymaking bodies can be forces for positive change in the world.

This depressing realization casts a cloud over the The Cove, and, for that matter, the upcoming climate talks in Copenhagen. After all, what does the work of people like O’Barry matter if, in the end, everyone’s fate is decided by cold-hearted, suit-wearing bureaucrats, who, behind the closed doors of conference rooms, trade our futures for a few bucks?


This week's conversation blog also addresses animal cruelty. I appreciate Ross Douhat's evoking our society's tolerance for hidden cruelty. Many years ago, I'd worked with someone who became a vegetarian for philosophical reasons: he asked himself, about eating meat, whether he would kill it himself, and when he realized he wouldn't, he didn't think it was more acceptable to outsource the killing. He'd since started eating meat. I almost come down the other way: if I had to kill an animal for food, I would. But I don't, and I certainly don't have to cause mass deforestation for sustenance, so I choose not to. I do, however, have to cause massive carbon emissions to go on the vacations I want, so I do. Speaking of which, last week's conversation blog really makes me want to be in Tahiti or on the Almafi Coast.

While we're on the topic of sustainability, let's legalize marijuana if it means making it sustainable and organic.

Nicholas Kristof and his wife, Sheryl WuDunn, have written a provocative magazine piece. Those are some seriously inspiring women, and some seriously infuriating horror stories. Interestingly, this article, which sings the praises of microfinance as an anti-poverty tool, comes at a time that I'm in the midst of an ongoing debate over microfinance. I'd post some of the counterarguments, but the arguer has expressed hopes to never end up on my blog. Here's one take on the cons.

The Atlantic metablogs the Whole-Foods-Health-Care debate. The Economist advocates my favored prescriptions for many such ills: shut the f* up.

I've been meaning to post this excellent discussion/book review on the Gospel of Judas for a while, but wanted to wait until I had the time of energy to actually discuss it (I've now realized that's not going to happen). It's very much worth a read, and I encourage your comments.

Jon Stewart and Wyatt Cenac on exercising one's rights:
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The Gun Show - Barrel Fever
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests
and Jon Stewart mocks CNN's new segments:
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
CNN's Just Sayin'
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorHealthcare Protests

No comments: