Monday, August 24, 2009

RM update: shrug

RM actually bought some perishable (not to be confused with fresh) food. He came in yesterday afternoon with lots of bags of groceries and started unloading. I said I'd move some of my stuff in the fridge so he'd have more room. He said 'oh no it's fine,' and that he had enough space, but it turned out that his idea of having enough space was formed by his not really understanding fresh food, which, unlike packaged food, doesn't do well underneath heavier food. And while I offered to consolidate my food for purely altruistic reasons, rather than quasi-selfish ones, it was only because it didn't occur to me that it wouldn't occur to him not to place his boxes of food directly on top of my grapes. No damage was done before I moved things around, but like much that RM does, I just had to wonder.

And when I say, "I just had to wonder," that's exactly what that means-- that it doesn't so much bother me as remind me what a different person he is, what a different world he inhabits. I'm also still grateful that he cleaned up the backyard, which looks great, and that he's not making a big deal of a situation that I did not manage well--one that is too complicated for this blog. As I've written before, I think it's good to live with or otherwise interact with people with different habits. And in two months in change, I'll have to find a different way of doing that.

No comments: