Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday evening roundup

First of all, can I just tell you that I nearly had a minor breakdown because my laptop was not responding to its power supply--much like last year when furry little bi&ch broke it-- and this is just grief I don't need right now, especially since it would have been roommate's fault. He got back tonight (can't blame the dude for being away for the better part of three weeks) and turned on the AC, which entailed coming into my office to close the window (this is allowed), but he disconnected the power supply from the laptop in the process (it was disconnected when I got in and the battery was half-gone). It just slipped out again and then I had to creatively twist for it to work. While it may be time for a laptop upgrade soon, this one works perfectly as far as I'm concerned (when it's not giving me various power issues) and I'd like to keep using it.

Anyway, here's your roundup:

Richard Cohen on McCarthyism 2.0.

Ezra Klein has been on my $hit list of late for playing stupid devil's advocate on food issues, but I like his analysis of the Whole-Foods-Health-Care-gate.

A very interesting article on Who is the Taliban? Notable is the McDonald's analogy as a brand/franchise (I smirked because I thought of Remy Moustafa's McD's rap, which is not that great, but the Tom Friedman reference is hilarious).

On a related note, let's still care about Afghan women, even when it's not the Taliban infringing on their rights.

Stress response is self-perpetuating. On a bright note, I've conquered my propensity toward stress eating.

This Goop spoof is hilarious. Also good is the Fug girls' take in New York magazine.

The kids entering the work force are different from you and me. I discovered that years ago when a bunch of my young punk coworkers didn't recognize Pink Floyd's "Learning to Fly."

Just when you thought HL Gates' arrest was ridiculous, this is f*ing AMAZING.

I can't find this online, but the Time article on exercise has generated quite the backlash. However, it's already past my bedtime, so I'm still not going to slam it to the best of my ability.

One of the things we talked about this weekend on our camping/hiking trip is how we can't stand whiny hikers. You know what you're getting into-- you know it's not going to be a leisurely stroll--so shut the f* up. It's not easy for any of us, but we're not going to whine about it because that's not going to get us where we're going any faster. Anyway, one of the things I appreciate about exercise is that it develops in you that tolerance for discomfort.

I took a Taerobics class at work today... it was quite the butt-kicker. And I would have had dessert at Ceiba anyway, so it wasn't like I was overcompensating. BTW, Ceiba is amazing.

No comments: