Saturday, August 22, 2009

Roommate update

So far, so good: roommate has remained relatively inoffensive (although I did have to take some recyclables out of the trash), and after the three-week separation I'm better able to appreciate rather than resent his good intentions. He called me today--it was pouring down rain--to offer me a ride from where ever I was, in case I was stuck (I was volunteering several blocks from my house, and the rain had let up a bit by the time my shift was up). I'm not sure whether this would have annoyed me a month ago-- it would at least have struck me as nice but unnecessary-- but today it just struck me as nice.

Also, I was out late last night, as I had been Monday and Tuesday nights, and I was glad he was here to feed Gracie. I was also slightly annoyed earlier in the week:

A.: Thanks for feeding Gracie last night! [He'd just gotten back, and it hadn't been pre-arranged]
RM: Not a problem. You were out late!
A.: I was.
RM: Ooooohhhh....
A.: No, not "oooooohhhh." I just had dinner with a friend who got back from vacation, and then the metro was slow.

He fed Gracie again last night; I thanked him.

RM: You were out late! I was up later than usual--watching a movie--and you still weren't back. I thought, "she's having a great time! she's probably doing crosswords..."

I thought that was really funny-- that roommate thinks that that doing crosswords on a Friday night is my idea of a good time. And what can I say? It is.

And I'm genuinely glad--see, I'm not even saying that I don't care--that he's getting out and exploring the area. He told me that he'd walked along King Street and actually gone into some of the shops--although I balked when he said he was going to walk back to the King Street metro and metro one stop--but then he realized it would be just as well to just walk back to the house. He also biked almost all the way to Mt. Vernon and said it was beautiful. Again, what can I say? I like it when people agree with me.

***
I inadvertently timed my Netflix reactivation date to coincide with The Daily Show's and Colbert Report's three-week hiatus. I'm quite excited about that.

No comments: