Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm ready for him to go away again

So I may have a gratitude problem: it may be that I should be grateful that roommate is cleaning, rather than annoyed that he's wasting water on dishes that are already clean. To be sure, I'm grateful when he cleans the common areas. I'm just annoyed when he does my dishes, or generally does things for me that he has no business doing. And be aware that I'm not concerned about my water bill--it doesn't change. I'm concerned about water as a natural resource.

He saw me bringing my laundry down--I'd put it down for a second to turn off the light--and grabbed it for me, said "let me help you with that." I rolled my eyes. I was on the phone when he came in from his outing into town, and vaguely noticed that he spent a good twenty minutes at the sink, presumably washing dishes. Except that all my dishes were clean. And we've been over this: I don't necessarily put them in the dishrack, because they're wet, and other things in the dishrack are dry (and I can't be bothered to put them away). The point is, he doesn't need to wash my dishes for me anyway. It's just too much.

Which makes me thing that in addition to this gratitude problem, I may also have a Goldilocks problem. I never got why Mike, my roommate in Boston, would do a sinkful of his own dishes and leave, say, a bowl that I'd left soaking in there. I thought that was pretty pathetic. If I'm washing stuff in the sink, I'll pretty much wash everything. But that's different, because you're already washing dishes.

So, two months left. Do I tell the roommate to cool the charm offensive? Because it is driving me nuts. Or do I feign gratitude, or even try to see if I can muster some of the real thing?

***
After I got off the phone, I asked him how his urban expedition had gone. He had a great time, got off at Foggy Bottom, went to the Kennedy Center, etc.

He then proceeded to describe to me the cross streets around the Foggy Bottom metro.
In detail.

I nodded.

He continued.

Why he might think that there's an aspect of the Metrorail system that he can illuminate for me is anyone's guess. I mean, once you get east of Capitol Hill on the blue and orange lines, I have no idea what's what, but I'm pretty familiar with Foggy Bottom. This whole thing wouldn't have been a big deal if he'd stopped at "24th and M" or whatever he said, but he kept going. I just don't know why. Oh, well.

No comments: