Friday, August 21, 2009

Some accountability after years of getting away with selling bad movies.

I love Hawaii. I don't miss the very long flights (or the screaming children that almost invariably populate them), or epic work hours, or horrendous traffic... but I miss the landscape, and some of the people I used to work with. And I think this is interesting:
Public intellectuals do not exist; public debate is rare, except on issues that transgress religious dogma. Hawaii is noted for its multitude of contentious God-botherers. One hundred sixty-three years ago, Melville remarked on this in “Typee.” Yet “tipsy from salvation’s bottle” (to borrow Dylan Thomas’s words), they stick to specific topics (same-sex marriage a notable example). No one else pontificates. It is regarded as bad form for anyone in Hawaii to generalize in print, as I am shamefully doing now.
Is income inequality in this country reversible?

No comments: