Monday, August 3, 2009

Both of my parents are insane

Mom: What are you reading these days?
A.: Oh, I've been meaning to tell you about this New Yorker piece about this guy's trip to Siberia...
Mom: I don't have a lot of time. Can you just describe it, briefly?
A.: Um, no. You'd be missing the point.
Mom: Can you send it?
A.: Well, the NYer has made it difficult to share things.
Mom: So I'd have to pay for it?
A.: I think it may be free but you have to register, but...
Dad: Is it the same at the library?
A.: What?
Dad: Would she have to pay to read it at the library?
Mom: The article is on the internet.
Dad: Oh, I thought you were talking about The NYer the magazine.

I choose not to address this.

A.: Anyway, you can log in as me. [And this goes for the rest of you, too]. My login info is my e-mail address, and my e-mail address is also my password.
Mom: What's your e-mail address?
A.: You have my e-mail address.
Mom: Is it just your name?
Dad: No, it's [...]... at something... dot.org, right?
A.: gmail.com, actually.
Dad: Oh.
Mom: What's the password?
A.: The password is also my e-mail address.
Mom: Can you just...
A.: No. If you want to read the article, you now have all the information you need.
Mom: I don't have time for this! Bye!
A.: Bye!

1 comment:

wwc said...

Clearly they don't quite get the digital age (sigh). Clip the article out + snail mail - that's my suggestion! Or I think your dad was perhaps envisioning opening the magazine in the library and reading it there...