Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sleepy (and here's why)

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes. I've noticed that I can have a delayed reaction to something someone has said, that it can take time for the full meaning to register and annoy and/or infuriate me. I think I developed this as a coping mechanism for dealing with my mother. But how I got this way isn't the point.

Over dinner, my roommate told me about his thought process this morning, and it just hit me how silly it was.

He was going to an event in DC and then staying with a friend in Maryland. He had a seminar (for work) that started early in the morning, so he was going to go straight from his friend's house, but decided to stop at the house instead to drop off his car. He thought I'd be up--at 6:30 AM, on a Saturday--and that we'd get to chat. He figured it was a fair assumption, since I often am up at that hour in the morning.

I guess. I guess it was fair to figure that I might be up. It surprises me, though, that it didn't cross his mind that I might not be up.

His thinking is very linear that way: I had coffee two days in a row, so I'd want it the third. I'd just always been afraid to ask; I'm often up by 6:30 on weekends, so I'll always be up at 6:30 on a weekend.

In reality, I have coffee sometimes and almost always make it a point not to have it three days in a row so it doesn't become a habit.

In reality, I do go out *sometimes* on a Friday or Saturday night, and sleep in on Saturday. I mean, several days this week, I slept in until 6am during the work week (and thankfully, he opted not to knock on my door to ensure that I hadn't overslept).

He knew I had dinner plans. We were actually up past midnight talking, and I was looking forward to sleeping in. But whatever, I don't begrudge the guy the right to come into the house to get his stuff. Sure, the alarm woke me up. I managed to go back to sleep for a little while.

But it boggles my mind that he was surprised that I was still asleep.

When he pulled up to the house, he saw that my shade was pulled and that the lights were off... and thought, "oh, she's probably up but reading in the dark or something."

WTF?

Then, he came in, and didn't see me downstairs. Still didn't make the connection that I may be asleep at 6:30 AM on a Saturday.

It wasn't until he came upstairs and saw that my door was closed that he started moving more quietly.

Does this thought process make any sense to you?

Am I allowed any variety in my life, as far as he's concerned, or does it just mess with is circuitry? Oh, in case you were wondering, he is an engineer by training.

Again, I forgive the initial assumption that I'd probably be awake. It's how much evidence to the contrary it took to shake that assumption that blows my mind.

And there's an out of sight, out of mind thing going on, too:

RM: You haven't done yoga in a while!
A.: Yep, I've been doing yoga.

Wouldn't it be less presumptuous to say, "I've not seen you do yoga in a while"? But it's like he doesn't see it, so it doesn't happen.

I'd better go to sleep, because I'll probably face questions if I'm not up pretty early tomorrow.

No comments: