Wednesday, August 5, 2009

RM update

RM continues to demonstrate that tendency to try to make up for things by going overboard.

He let me know that he'd be out for over a week--and that's wonderful, although a bit of a waste since I'll be out of town for the next two weekends as well. Although I'll enjoy the workweek to myself. But I digress.

I asked him if he would write the check for this month's rent before he took off, and he said of course and apologized for having blanked. Not a problem, I said.

Then, he said, "you know, if you ever need the check for rent even before the first of the month--say you need it in the middle of the previous month--just let me know."

And I know he means well. Again, this is his trying to overcompensate for a (minor) transgression on his part with something kind of related but still irrelevant. But it's kind of insulting. Apart from prying/making assumptions about my finances, I almost feel like he's trying to pin the episode on me, like oh, sure of course he'll write the check for rent because I need the money now (even though it's five days into the month and he'll be leaving for a week in the next couple of days), rather than he'll write the check because that's what he's supposed to do at the beginning of the month. Perhaps unintentionally, his offer turns this into an I-need-the-money (now) thing. And I don't appreciate that.

But since he's taking off for a week and a half, and since I'm sure he didn't mean it that way, I'm going to let it go.

No comments: