Monday, August 31, 2009

The (other) city

ETC, tell your friend that if he wants to meet single women, all he has to do is move to DC. The numbers are in his favor, and that actually has a self-multiplying effect: men in DC know that the numbers are in their favor, so most of them are especially full of themselves, which makes the few who aren't more attractive to women. I could go on and on about dating (and also, not dating) in DC. I can ask many a friend to contribute. I probably have this conversation once a week, with different/alternating groups of friend. I don't even remember who it was that said it was because the men are all power-hungry and take themselves too seriously. That was weeks ago. That could be part of it, but I like start with the most basic possible explanation: they are full of themselves because they can be. The most widely cited figure is seven single (straight) women for every one single (straight) man. You have the married, the gay and the leaving-the-country. With those kind of odds, it's not hard to feel good about yourself. The upshot is, no need to take dating classes; just move to the nation's capitol.

2 comments:

etc @ www.fierceandnerdy.com said...

Ha! I remember feeling the same way about guys when I was at Smith. But you know, every city has there problems when it comes to dating. Certainly we Angelenos could complain just as hard about other factors, such as the lookism that goes on out here and all the flaky types who don't know what they want b/c they're still trying to "make it." Still, I found a great guy, so I have faith that everyone can, even if the pool is limited. Still, I'll pass along your post.

Tmomma said...

This drove me nuts when I lived in DC. Just b/c I went to a good school didn't mean that I needed a huge ego or a guy that had one. That was the probably one of the most refreshing things about my husband, he didn't have that stupid ego, it was so nice. And some of my DC friends were such snobs to him it was horrible, like his status didn't measure up...ugh...I like my life here in the boonies :)