Saturday, August 22, 2009

Someone remarked the other day that my mom blog wasn't really a mom blog.

Are you--all five of you--going to get even more bored by the lack of drama once roommate moves out in a few months? Alas, by then, the holidays will be approaching, and those always bring mom drama, so fear not.

Until then--and especially while mom still isn't talking to me over the New Yorker article incident (i.e. my refusing to e-mail her my e-mail address--which she has--plus detailed login instructions)--all I can really do is rehash old mom stories and tie them into new things, like this excerpt from Robin Givhan's column:
The reality is that a good portion of the culture has become loudly vocal about how clothes don't matter and how it's snobbish or shallow to suggest that they do. But clothes are part of our broader aesthetic obligation to each other. That commitment pushes homeowners to mow their lawns and not be a blight to the neighborhood. It makes them think twice before painting their houses in psychedelic stripes. The desire to be aesthetically respectful means guests give consideration to what they wear to a friend's wedding or mourners take care in how they dress for a loved one's funeral.
This reminds me of an older post-- one that I thought was in my top ten but is actually here. The whole thing is worth a read, if I may say so myself--especially for those of you who enjoy the "not sexy" posts--but I will excerpt here the part relevant to what Ms. Givhan is saying:

Mom: What are you wearing to Julia's wedding?
A.: A pink dress.
Mom: Oh, I have cute red shoes that would go with that.
A.: Red doesn't go with pink.
Mom: You're so concerned with what society thinks!


I just love that. What's so incredibly absurd about it is that the whole point of coordinating an outfit to wear to any special event, much less a wedding, is (a) a symbol of respect for the occasion and its honorees and (b) a social act. It follows that it's one of those situations where "what society thinks" matters. It in turn follows that my mom's statement was hilariously ridiculous in the context of what we were talking about. She just cracks me up.

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

don't worry...i'll keep reading :)