Sunday, August 2, 2009

RM update

Roommate, who was out of the house for the better part of the last two weeks, and pretty much out of my hair during the couple of days he'd actually been here, is back. Things have been pretty good, although he did buy cauliflower (which would be fine if he were to actually do something other than let it rot in the fridge, but I somehow doubt that). I've yet to see him buy tofu, but that would be pretty funny. When he got in, around noon, he asked me whether I had plans for the evening and whether I wanted to go out to dinner with him. I declined, said I had done a lot of grocery shopping, had a lot of food in the house, so I didn't want to go out. This was actually true. While it is also true that I didn't actually want to go out to dinner with him, I didn't say that.

RM: Right, you have your eating schedule.
A.: What??
RM: Your eating plan. You have to keep to your eating plan.
A.: I don't have an eating plan. I just have a fridge full of fresh vegetables, so I don't especially want to go out to eat restaurant food.
RM: Because you want to stick to your eating plan.
A.: Um... no.

I'm not sure what on earth has led RM to believe that I eat on a plan or a schedule. I mean, I do cook for myself, and apparently that makes me a minority in this country (see Michael Pollan article), and that requires some planning. I do also tend to cook a lot of food on Sunday and apportion it for lunch throughout the week; otherwise, I wouldn't have time to make lunch. And sometimes I do jot down, on the white board on the fridge that is also a shopping list, what I have in the fridge so that I don't forget. But I hardly see this as tantamount to keeping a strict eating plan/schedule.

I guess I can see how someone who doesn't cook at all might see it that way. Actually, when he's asked me what he should get at the grocery store, I've told him to figure out what he'll want to eat and go from there. Again, this is common sense planning--hardly excel spreadsheet stuff.

I shook my head and let it go. I even offered him an after-dinner chocolate mint milkshake, since I was making one for myself (sugar for him, agave nectar for me). Chocolate milk is supposed to be the ideal post-workout food, and he'd just cycled out to the Jefferson Memo and back. He said it was tough, which surprised me since I do it every other day or so and would struggle to run to the airport, which he seems to do with little difficulty. I guess it depends on what you and your muscles are used to--I've known other proficient runners say they struggle with cycling, and even though I bike 30-50 miles per week and could probably do twice that once in a while, I still get winded on the odd occasion that I take an aerobics class at the gym. I have been making an effort to push myself more--it's tempting to slack when you can set your own pace.

Anyway, to my knowledge, RM doesn't have any trips planned for a while. Hopefully, I'll have nothing to keep you posted about.

No comments: