Saturday, December 25, 2010

Where to walk

Earlier this morning

A.: Are we going for a walk?
Mom: Do you want to go nearby or to Waltham?
A.: Nearby.
Mom: Are you sure?
A.: I personally prefer nearby.
Mom: Okay.

Later, while she's still dilly-dallying

Mom: Are you sure you want to go nearby?
A.: Yes, I'm sure-but clearly you want to go to Waltham, so let's just go there.
Mom: Well, it is wider out there.
A.: Whatever. Let's just go.

We're getting in the car

Mom: So, where do you want to go?
A.: You know where I want to go. And you know where you want to go. So stop asking me and just go.
Mom: Last call--I'm going to need to turn one way or the other in a minute.
A.: Just go where ever.
Mom: Are you sure?
A.: You're sure.
Mom: I just think it's nice there.
A.: That's fine, but you can stop asking me. You're like my former roommate.
Mom: How so?
A.: "You're really scrambling--can I do anything to help?" "Actually, yes--would you mind taking out the trash? That way I'll have a better chance of catching an earlier train." "Um... um..." "Or I can just do it." "Yes, it's probably best that you just do it."
Mom: That's different.
A.: You're asking me a question--in this case, where I'd prefer to go--without regard for the actual response, because you're pretty sure what you want to do anyway. I don't mind that you know where you want to go, but in that case, stop asking me.

No comments: