Monday, December 27, 2010

Live a little

The birds are all set, which means the sun has set on my period of peace and quiet. I tried to keep reading while mom kept talking, but it was not to be.

Mom: Look, this is the brochure from the concert we went to.
A.: Can I look later?

[Pause]

Mom: Would you tell your father to finish that portion of the molding?
A.: Why don't you tell him when he's awake?
Mom: I find it more effective this way. Mention it a little at a time, and eventually, something clicks.

[Pause]

Mom: You've gotten so heavy. You're awfully solid. More importantly, you're so overly rational, and that's not right. Live a little! Be spontaneous sometimes! Let your emotions guide you. And eat whatever you want!
A.: I do eat whatever I want.
Mom: No, you don't!
A.: I don't want to eat dairy.
Mom: But ice cream is so good!
A.: Non-dairy ice cream is good, too. I'm going to make some...
Mom: Make? Ice cream? Ha!
A.: I prefer homemade ice cream anyway, so I may as well make it myself.
Mom: [Shudder]

Mom, as she goes through the mail: I can't believe the city...

I get up to leave.

Mom: Okay, okay, I'm going to stop talking.

I sit back down.

Mom: It's just...

I get back up, and come here to blog. A minute later, she calls my name. I'd better find out what she wants to tell me.

No comments: