Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Fridge space

A few days ago, mom insisted on cooking a bunch of beets in order to demonstrate the wonders of her new pressure cooker (she got me one, too). Since then, I've been suggesting that we move the beets to the fridge, but she's insisted that they're fine because it's pretty cool in the house. She's also complained about the proliferation of pots on the stove since we've had to make two dinners (we've always "had to" make two dinners, for as long as I can remember). Also, we've regularly had a variation on the following discussion:

Mom: So, no mayo?
A.: No.
Mom: So, you won't have a beet salad with mayo and walnuts.
A.: I never have. I just like my beets plain or with a little bit of lemon.
Mom: But it's so good.
A.: Just not to my taste. You can't taste the beet if it's slathered in mayo.
Mom: So, when are you going to have the beets?
A.: Do I have to eat them all at once?
Mom: Are you going to have them at all?
A.: I had one this morning.
Mom: What, whole? Plain?
A.: Yup. Perfect post-workout recovery snack.

A few hours later

Mom: Don't forget about the beets! Do you remember that we made beets?

Later yesterday, putting away the groceries

A.: Why did you get more beets?
Mom: You can never have enough beets.

An hour later

Mom: Don't forget about the beets.

This morning

Mom: A.! I told you to put away the beets! They're going to go bad! How could you forget about the beets.
A.: No, you keep asking me when I'm going to consume the beets. You never asked me to put them away.
Mom: Yes I did!
Dad: Does it matter? How hard is it to put away the beets?
A.: I'm putting them away as we speak. I just didn't know that was the agreed-upon decision for the beets. [Sigh as I make sense of the fridge] I'm setting these olives out.
Mom: Is it true that green olives are healthier than black olives?
A.: I have no idea. I doubt it.
Mom: Maybe I read that somewhere.
A.: [Shrug]

Dad: Is this birdfeed?
A.: What?
Dad: Whatever this porridge is in the glass pot.
A.: No! That's my barley!
Dad: What is it doing here?
A.: Mom must have taken it out of the fridge.
Mom: No room in the fridge! It'll be fine out there.
Dad: You know this is where we keep the compost and scraps for the birds. I almost put the coffee grinds on top.
A.: Grrrr.
Mom: You and that barley.

I've been preaching the virtues of hulled (rather than pearled) barley. Yesterday I got both parents to concede that it was tastier and of a better texture. So, yes, I know that I, too, can be tiresome. But you know that.

***
Five minutes ago

Mom: Beets are amazing. They keep forever and don't go bad.

No comments: