Friday, December 17, 2010

Friday evening roundup and ramble

The state of destalinization in Russia.

Awwww, we matter to Europe.

Tom Philpott puts together some compelling graphs on food and quality of life. Elsewhere on Grist: ignore the denials; the Times' cheese expose had its facts straight.

For an eco-friendly Christmas tree, go with natural.

I don't understand what this satire and response is about, but I think the metareporting on the Times' coverage over the years is interesting.

***
Last week a friend called to solicit my advice about luggage. She was shopping for rollerboards. I told her they weren't my thing because I've been in too many situations, such as cobblestone streets, where you can't roll them, and they're so heavy--even when empty--that it's not worth it. She said she didn't travel in developing countries. I told her I was referring to Paris.

***
I spoke with an energy auditor today who acted like my mother. I'd left him a message in the morning, asking for an estimate. He called back a few minutes before I needed to leave my desk (and my cell phone). He talked. And talked. And talked. I told him I had to go. He kept talking. I told him, okay, but I needed to leave. He kept talking. I had to hang up on him.

When I say I have to go, that doesn't mean keep talking. That doesn't mean get a few more things in. It doesn't mean continue to convince me that you're better than your competitors. It means wrap it up, dammit.

No comments: