Saturday, December 25, 2010

Invisibility cloak

A.: There, I put you on 'invisible.'
Mom: Huh?
A.: So that people won't skype you just because the computer's on.
Dad: How did you do that?
A.: I'll show you.
Mom: Why?
A.: Well, Irina just called, and you were having breakfast [and I was blogging about the dairy inquisition you were putting me through].
Mom: But if everyone did that, you'd never know who's online.
A.: You can set it to 'online' if you want people to call you. But sometimes you're online doing stuff and you don't want to deal with the call.
Mom: You could just not answer.
A.: Or you could just not be interrupted by the phone call or risk offending the caller.
Mom: But no one would ever call anyone!
A.: Unless they wanted to be called.
Mom: I don't like it.

Mom was truly unwilling to accept the concept that sometimes, people don't want to be reached, and in that event, they have the right to be invisible.

No comments: