Sunday, December 26, 2010

Snow day

Earlier today

A.: You know where it is?
Dad: I'm pretty sure, but get the address anyway. Use your mother's laptop there.
Mom: Did you say 'shut up'?
A.: I shut it down, yes.

A.: Do you want me to plug in the Garmin?
Dad: To charge it, but we know how to get to that hospital

Half-way to the hospital

Mom: I don't understand why you can't just see her when she's released. Your dad didn't even see you until you were released.
A.: We're already on the way, so it doesn't really matter.

Two minutes later

Mom: I don't understand why you have to see her now. She's probably not even up for visitors.
A.: She told me on the phone that I was welcome to visit today.
Mom: You could just wait a couple of days and see her when she's back.
A.: Mom, I appreciate that you're driving me, but we're already on the way, so I don't understand why we're having this conversation.

Two minutes later

Mom: You could just see her when she's back.
Dad: We're almost there!

A few blocks from the main entrance

Mom: Where do I go now?
Dad: Straight.

Mom turns left

Mom: Well? Where do I go?
Dad: Why didn't you listen to me?
Mom: Because I know where I'm going. Where now?
Dad: At this point, I don't know.
Mom: Tell me where to turn!
A.: Should I turn on the Garmin?
Mom: No.

We find the main entrance. My parents decide to wait, although the plan was they'd go shopping and then pick me up.

Later

A., calls: Where are you??
Mom: Come out of the hospital and take a right, and walk to the traffic light.

I do that. Five minutes later, in blizzard conditions, I turn back and see my dad waving at me from across from the hospital entrance.

A.: WTF??
Dad: She meant, go straight.

I get in the car, thank them for waiting. It was very nice of them to drive me.

A.: They're both well. He's cute as a button! He's just over six pounds.
Mom: You were even smaller than that!
A.: What do I have to do with anything?
Mom: I'm just saying.

After the hospital, we go shopping. Mom needs to stock up on bird feed. The ride home is understandably very, very slow.

We get in.

Mom: I told you to shut up!

[Pause]

I realize she's talking about the computer.

A.: I hit "shut down."
Mom: You never listen.
A.: I did what you tell me to do.

I go to change out of my snow-soaked pants and come downstairs. Mom and Dad tell me my phone buzzed. I go to check the message.

Mom: A., did you...
A.: Just a minute mom!
Mom: Check your message later, I'm asking you a question!
A.: I'm already checking it, so please be quiet so I can hear it.
Mom: Check later!
A.: There, ten seconds later. What did you want to say?
Mom: Are those my slippers?
A.: No, they're the ones I was wearing.

I come here to blog all this and hear mom screaming from the living room.

Mom: I told you to say shut up! Why didn't you? When it's shut up, nothing's blinking. Now things are blinking!
Dad: Could you drop it? You've said that ten times now. Whatever's going on with the laptop, let it go.

A.: Come see how cute this baby is!
Mom: Yes. And she looks very happy.

No comments: