Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Seasonal reflections

Confession: I haven't written my holiday cards yet. Funny thing is, I've noticed other people's have come late, too... but they are rolling in, so I suppose I should get mine out the door. I've been sick, and busy, so I haven't really had a chance to shop around for awesome cards--I'm not thrilled with the ones I have, but they'll do.

I wonder what I should write. I've never seen holiday cards as a chance to brag--as I've written before, I see them as more of a "thank you for being in my life." But something hit me as I browsed the alum updates in the Smith Alum quarterly that came the other day--I'd just never have anything to report in that kind of forum, because it's all about marriages, kids, advanced degrees (I didn't report mine at the time I got it), and publications. And other people's holiday cards seem to be about major life events. And yet, I feel like I have something to say--something to tell people about--even though my news may not come in the same form. So, here goes my holiday card:

I got almost everything I wanted for the holidays: a New START; Don't Ask, Don't Tell repeal; and Zadroga bill. The other things I want are more important than any of that, and they include good baby (and mommy) news that I expect to get later this week or early next.

I went on an awesome holiday shopping spree this morning. If I go over this every year, it's not because I think you're dumb--it's because I'm genuinely surprised every time at how happy it makes me to make donations. I mean, I like food, I like clothes, and I like obscure kitchen gadgets. I wouldn't really say I like warm-fuzzies. And yet, when I put in my credit card and hit 'submit payment,' those are the transactions I'm most sure about out of all the ones I made all year.

But let's talk about the rest of the year, since holiday cards aren't just about the holidays. And, after all, just because I haven't married or reproduced, it's not like I haven't done anything with myself.

-I saw a lot of really cool plays and other performances, including two Second City shows. The best plays were "The Liar," "Hamlet," "Henry V," and "The Odd Couple." I've subscribed to two more theaters and look forward to seeing their plays more regularly.

-I went on a fantastic two-week trip to Japan, but you've heard enough about that. For a few months, I intensively worked on learning Japanese... it was fun while it lasted. In addition to the big trip, I also went on some neat business trips, and on an awesome weekend beach adventure with some friends. I'm already making arrangements for my next big vacation.

-I transitioned to a new team at work, and I'm really happy with the people I'm working with. Two products that I worked on over the last year (and longer, in the case of one) have been issued, and neither was easy to put together.

-I refinanced to a 15-year mortgage, which seemed inconceivable two years ago when I bought the house. While it's crazy to watch so much money leave my bank account every month, it's crazier, in a good way, to watch my mortgage balance decrease substantially every month.

-I took care of a bunch of big house projects (and acquisitions), including a shed--I no longer have to keep my lawn mower inside!--and a new fridge. A bunch of stuff that broke has been fixed. The gate held during the last series of fierce winds, so I continue to hope that my longstanding gate saga has finally wound down to a happy status quo. Also, I think I've definitively conquered the poison ivy that caused me so much grief.

-I've made it a point to meditate more.

-I've made it a point to date, which is everything you think it is--usually frustrating, sometimes fun, and sometimes both frustrating and fun at the same time. Everyone I went out with, with the exception of one person, wanted to see me again (I was less impressed with them). But it's probably better to date than not date, so I'm hanging in there.

-I've gone macrobiotic in my own way, which, apparently, is the new macrobiotic. I stopped eating animal products except seafood, and I eat seafood on special occasions (read: when I'm traveling, etc.), and generally moved to minimally processed, minimally refined foods. It's been a great move for me--I feel much better. But don't think, for a minute, that mom won't have a big butt to obsess over during the holidays.

By the way, I made waffles using a flax-egg (1 tbsp finely ground flax, 3 tbsp water, set for a few minutes). They turned out really well, and quite fluffy!

-Gracie is (still) fat and happy. And very vocal. In fact, she's telling me it's her dinner time (it isn't).

1 comment:

Tmomma said...

sounds like a great year! you don't need to have kids or to get married for happiness to be notable! i'm sure I'd bore people by saying how excited we are that the little ones egg RAST number went down a bunch (maybe not even statistically enough) but still, it's hope! work really stunk this year capped off by slipping in the unplowed parking lot and herniating a disk on friday. but my family more than makes up for all of that! worst year ever, probably not, most stressful, probably. but i did have a ton of fun in the kitchen...and yay for you for flax goo! i still need to try that but have had success with EnerG which is potato starch. Anyway, sounds like a wonderful year, hope 2011 is just as great or better :)