Friday, June 19, 2009

Thursday

I went to see Rock'n'Roll last night. The Post warned me it would be thought-provoking, but I had no idea to what extent-- so many ideas, flying around, making my brain work. It was excellent, and timeless--so relevant to the world today.

And my friend got out of his meetings early, so we went to Cafe Citron instead of Whole Foods. I had their white sangria for the first time-- it was very good.

Earlier in the day, I had lunch with an old grad school friend. The lunch turned kind of unpleasant when he got very nosy and in not so many words asked me about my salary (I didn't tell him), and then went on to say slam the public sector. For example, he asked whether I wanted to work for the government forever, and I said probably not forever but I'm happy now. He said he imagined it would be nearly impossible to transfer over, because the private sector requires a different skill set. I pressed, asked for examples. Don't really see how you can say that for an entire sector. He said, for example, that private sector workers work harder and work longer hours. I countered that I have colleagues that often work weekends. He couldn't really back up his generalization, but was insistent. I'd like to think that I have transferable skills, and I'm pretty sure that I do, but I wasn't offended-- rather, I felt kind of bad for him because I think the attitude was coming from his own defensiveness and insecurity. I'm glad I got to continue the day, away from that lunch of silly cheap shots, on a higher note, with adult conversation and intellectually stimulating theatre.

No comments: