Friday, June 5, 2009

More being helpful when it isn't helpful

I'm just not mean enough to keep slamming RM when he's trying to help.

I came downstairs yesterday for a break and wanted to clean the kitchen counters... but he'd already cleaned them. Who knows with what-- does he know where the cleaner is, or did he just make them dirtier by using a sponge without anything on it? He'd washed my cast iron skillet... which doesn't need to be washed, and when it is washed, certainly shouldn't be left around with water in it. I'd gone upstairs, earlier, because he was still doing stuff in the kitchen, not because I wasn't going to clean up after myself. I really wish he'd just left everything.

And it's not helpful to handwash things that can go in the dishwasher: handwashing uses more water and energy, and delays when I run the dishwasher.

I just wish he'd stop. Why can't he just take the hint and STOP? Of course, since I'm not going to yell at him for trying to help, he's going to take it as encouragement. I continue to struggle to process just how unable he is to stop overdoing it.

But he's left for the weekend, which makes up for it all.

***
When he came in, we had the following conversation:

RM: I was going to surprise you today.
A., not out loud: [Oh, no.]
A.: Surprise me?
RM: I was going to come home in my whites. You've never seen me in my whites...
A., not out loud: [Yes but I really don't care! Why can't you understand that I DON'T CARE!]
RM: ...but we were outside and it just started pouring, so I had to change.
A.: [Shrug].

No comments: