Monday, June 22, 2009

RM update

On Sunday, RM was attempting to once again prove his valor and willingness to do stuff around the house. Which he does anyway. Actually, it started on Saturday morning when he saw me taking out the lawn mower.

RM: Hey, that's my job!
A.: It is?
RM: Yeah!
A.: When did that happen?
RM: Well, I've been doing it.

Um, no, you haven't. I think he's mowed twice--which is fine; I like mowing.

A.: I'm not ready to cede the mowing.
RM: Well, if there's anything you need me to do around the house...

So, last night, I got in from the store and was scrambling to some get things done before heading out to Marisa's. It was an hour and a half before Gracie's dinner time, and she was whining up a storm. In addition to being annoying, that's also distracting. I find myself hurrying, spilling things (more so than usual), etc. So after she wouldn't shut up, I picked her up and stuck her in the yard. As I was heading out...

RM: I can let Gracie in.
A.: She's come in anyway, the minute I open the door.
RM: No, really, it's not a problem: I can let her in.
A.: Um, it's her dinner time. She'll be in in a heartbeat.

Sure enough, I opened the door and she came in.

RM: Anything I can do?
A.: Well, the trash needs to go out, but not before I scoop, so I'll just do it when I get home.
RM: I could scoop and then take the trash out.
A.: You don't have to, but if you really don't mind, it would help.

He didn't. Which is fair, because I told him he didn't have to--because there's no reason that he should clean up after my cat. But it's impressive that he's constantly talking about doing whatever it takes to help (he's even said, "whatever you don't like to do, tell me-- that can be my job"), but doesn't actually do what I suggest/ask. Then he tries to compensate by offering to do things that aren't helpful.


***
I've established, many a time, that I live where I do because I love being able to walk everywhere. When I posted the room for rent, I thought that would be a major draw. To most people.

Last week-- the same time I asked him if he wanted anything, and he offered me $20 to get him whatever I thought was best--he also said, "you're walking? That's great."

Um, the supermarket is a five-minute walk from the house. Because of the way the streets are designed, it's necessarily a longer drive than it is a walk.

Yesterday

RM: I walked out to see the fireworks along the river yesterday [I think it was Alexandria Day]. Then I asked someone how long it would take to walk to King Street, and he said about five minutes. So I went over to the jazz place. But the walk back, that was long!
A.: It's a fifteen-minute walk from King Street Blues.
RM: That's a long walk!
A.: No, it isn't. That's pretty much as good as it gets between downtown and a residential area. You can run to the airport, but find the walk to and from King Street to be long?
RM: Well, that's running. But the nice thing was, I could have as many beers as I wanted because I wasn't driving.
A.: That is a plus.

No comments: