Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday afternoon roundup

Man, good thing I don't live in a culture where you're a loser if you're not an engineer, lawyer or MBA. I mean, I was born in such a culture, and my mother still ascribes to its values, but I don't have to live there. Funny that I could have written, "good thing I don't live in a culture of arranged marriages," since that's what the article is about, but that actually scares me less than a culture in which being an engineer is socially desirable.

Colbert King urges humility in the public flogging of Gov. Sanford, while Sarah Kaufman brilliantly weaves his antics into a ballet review:
Kenneth MacMillan's three-act ballet "Manon" contains enough sex, deceit and sudden disappearances to rival South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's recent news conference. But it is even more unnecessarily rambling. And it goes into many more sordid details you really wish you didn't have to see.
I love it.

No comments: