Thursday, June 25, 2009

Oh no they didn't

The Wall Street Journal's editorial board has always been uber-conservative (well, at least as long as I've been reading the paper, and a lot longer), but prior to the Murdoch takeover, I never found its political leanings to creep into the paper's reporting. A couple of stories in today's paper showed some partisan snark, and one, in particular, just pissed me off.

Are you f*ing kidding me? The WSJ is comparing public sector student loan forgiveness for employees to financial sector bonuses? Million dollar bonuses, per person, for companies receiving bailout dollars, versus up to $10,000 (for particularly hard-to-recruit-for positions; usually less than half that for others). Some schools do it to. The whole "it's unheard of in the private sector" is absurd. The whole point is, you want to recruit and retain qualified people to lesser-paid, public service positions. The $10k reimbursements go to people like lawyers, who could make a hell of a lot more at a law firm. In the case of my agency, at least, each reimbursement comes with a three-year commitment to stay, or else you have to pay back the whole thing, which a third more than what went toward your loans, because you paid income and payroll taxes on it (you can technically get the taxes back, but it's a big pain). Anyway, the implications in the article are just absurd and out of context.

Anyway, let's move on to the latest in the Sanford commentaries. I liked what Jon Stewart had to say: "Just another politician with a conservative mind and liberal penis." I started reading the e-mails but I felt dirty so I stopped.

Back on the topic of rude people in theatres: I think it's great when performers talk back.

I'll wrap up on a cuter note.

No comments: