Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saturday morning roundup

No jokes from yesterday's Body Shop-- no held positions, really-- although Chris did make us do bicep curls with the body bar and resistance band combined. The tape he brought was a Michael Jackson/Madonna combo--didn't have one of just Michael Jackson. And it was all Michael Jackson, all day and night on the radio-- a lot Michael Jackson, I should say, because as I channel flipped and caught an earful of more contemporary music, I thought, 'they don't make them like that anymore.'

Listening to Billie Jean, PYT, Smooth Criminal, etc., I thought he gauged the 80s and reflected them in his music, but then I wondered whether it wasn't the other way around: whether his music defined the music of the 80s.

I'm the first, under most circumstances, to balk at the media's prominent placement of celebrity news in the face of actual news, but not this time (suck it, Hugo Chavez, although it sure is a godsend to the latest adulterer-politicians. Whose dalliances, as one more columnist points out, would be far less newsworthy had they not built a platform around sexual morality.

No comments: