Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Response to comments

(1) I've made similar comments about people who attempt international relations analysis without training: some can pull it off, but it would behoove most to leave it to people with training or at least experience. It's such a minefield-- probably as with creating writing--and even medicine--it's one of those things that even the luminaries get wrong sometimes, much less the rest of us who are merely 'trained.' It's also one of those fields where what the training teaches you is, you never know, and a sense of certainty is your worst enemy.

(2) If I were to swap this guy out, I wouldn't get another roommate: it's just too much hassle (or the odds of getting someone worse). In fact, when his lease expires, I don't think I'm going to get another roommate. By then, I'll have gotten rid of my second mortgage, and while the extra income would be helpful, it would be less comparatively helpful.

The events of the weekend made me think about whether it was time to evict, and then something work related happened that almost gave me an excuse to do so, but he backed down. He's annoying, but it's nothing I can't put up with for less than half a year, especially given how infrequently he's here. And I don't think it would come to kicking him out, because before that, it would come to--I would owe it to him to--very directly articulate everything that I've been haphazardly saying. Which it may come to if he continues to fail to get it, which I'm predicting will be the case.

I guess the other thing I'm saying is: it's not that bad. We have very minimal interaction, and it's a distraction. I wouldn't say it significantly lowers my quality of life-- I just like to bitch about it. Perhaps I'm just optimistic that this time he'll back off. I mean, "take your gift back" is a clear message if I ever heard one, but then again, I'm not the one whose ability to understand messages is in question. In a way, I'm looking at this as an opportunity to practice my conflict resolution skills.

1 comment:

etc at Fierce and Nerdy said...

Hahaha. That's the exact same way I feel about pregnancy. Not too terrible, but kind of horrible, and I like to bitch about it. Won't evict, but more than ready for this kid's lease to be up as she'll be less annoying when we're not sharing the same (biological) residence.