Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday, continued

Dad: Why is Lady Gaga called Lady Gaga?
A.: How do you know about Lady Gaga? I barely know about Lady Gaga.
Dad: Bill O'Reilly talks about her. He says she's a genius.

[Pause]

A.: Jay likes her, too. I don't know much about her--only that she doesn't like pants. I've heard her music at the gym, and I knew it was her because the instructor named her when the song came out. I guess she's okay.
Dad: He says she could be the next Madonna.
A.: [Shrug]

***
Mom: Where are you going?
A.: JP.
Mom: As long as I don't have to drive there.
A.: R.'s picking me up. I'll take the T back, you'll just have to drive to NH.
Mom: They both live in JP?
A.: M. lives in JP; R. lives in Brookline.
Mom: I won't live in Brookline. Too many Russians.

***
M.: How's your mom?
A.: She's very concerned about my belly fat. Says it's the worst kind of fat.
R.: Did you have to get an extra seat on the plane?
A.: It's a wonder I fit in your car.

[Pause]

A.: You're a doctor; need I be concerned about my belly fat?
R.: I don't see any belly fat.
M.: You need to put a picture up on your blog; otherwise, people are not going to appreciate the absurdity, given that you're not actually overweight.

***
A.: Mom, I'm waiting for the train now. I'll call you when I get to Reservoir, should be at NH just before you if you leave the house around then.

I called from Reservoir maybe fifteen minutes later.

I waited a while at NH, started to wonder whether mom might be confused about where to get me. I was about to call when I saw the car.

Mom: Hi.
A.: Hi.
Mom: Waiting long?
A.: A bit. Did you leave when I called?
Mom: We finished having our tea. Is that okay?
A.: I'm not in a position to argue. [Not out loud: it's okay on a beautiful day like this; when it's five degrees out, I'm not taking the T; you're coming to get me whereever I am--and you'll have brought that on yourself, because you're neither willing to loan me the car, nor to leave the house in time to keep my extremities from freezing off]. Did you already have dinner?
Mom: Yep. We thought you wouldn't be back for dinner.
A.: Um, you specifically asked me, and I specifically told you I would. More than once. But whatever, it doesn't matter. I mean, it does, from the perspective of your not listening, but not from the perspective of dinner.
Mom: We'll find something for you to eat.
A.: I'm not worried about that.

No comments: