Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday evening roundup

I invite my fellow adherents to free market economics to challenge the Farm Bureau on its logic. Farm Bureau: check out those graphs: those industrial farms are polluting a public resource, and the cost of their product should reflect that pollution. If you're saying you don't know why a farmer would continue farming if those costs--of his or her own pollution--were incurred directly by him or her, rather than society at large, then maybe the farmer shouldn't continue. Why should I subsidize meat farmers' pollution? It's my Bay, too.

I have mixed feelings about this victory for truth in (food) advertising. As unnatural foods go, you can do a lot worse than Dutch-processed cacao, and even corn syrup. And since the term "natural" doesn't mean anything on nutritional labels anyway, why does it matter?

Remember that episode of 30 Rock when Liz (thought she) sat next to Oprah on a flight.

The Onion on Sesame Street.

No comments: