Thursday, September 2, 2010

Have you gained weight?

As always, I called my parents when I landed. Half an hour later, they showed up.

We need a new system.

I understand that my mother doesn't want to loop around the airport, but this is ridiculous, even in good weather. I mean, you tell me: am I just an entitled, spoiled brat? Is it too much to ask to request that she leave the house without waiting for me to call her from the tarmac? Could she at least get ready to go, since she knows I'll be calling? I didn't ask how many plants she opted to water before getting in the car. But I did tell her we needed a new system, and that it was one thing to wait half an hour now, but I wasn't going to do it (again) in the freezing cold. Her reply was something like, 'please! then I have to get here and wait for you.' Not really; she just has to get here so I have to wait less.

Besides, she can say what I will about the inconveniences of where I live--how I'm not close to anything (specifically: a river)--but earlier this evening, I left my house at 6:35 for a 7:45 flight. None of this waiting for a ride.

But I digress.

I hopped in the car. Dad turned around.

Dad: Have you put on weight?
A.: So it begins.
Dad: I mean, you look fine... but your face has gotten round.

I figured I wouldn't have to answer--in a few seconds, my parents would be arguing about directions for getting out of the airport (gotta love Boston area signage).

I'm really not interested in discussing my weight this weekend. Just. Not. Interested. And, another thing: I don't understand why my parents continue to be intrigued by my allegedly increasing weight. I can't be so heavy that I've grown in mass between every visit. When I weighed in at the doctor's office, it wasn't at two hundred pounds.

Don't get the impression that I'm sensitive with regard to my body shape--it's much more that I'm sick of it. Let's move on.

No comments: