Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday evening roundup and ramble

Had you ever heard of Cel-Ray?? I had not.

I find this sanctimonious call-out of part-time foodies unhelpful. Could each side please take the smugness out of food politics?

***
I found myself telling a few people at work mom stories. Not intentionally. It just kept coming up in conversation. I told my supervisor, who’d seen the name of my blog on my picasa page when I showed him some Istanbul pictures (he's thinking of going). His response: “um, you’re fairly tiny.” I also told a friend I’d run into in the hallway, who, upon hearing the stories, asked me whether my mom was first generation. When I told her she was Russian-Jewish, she said it all made sense. She then told me of a (Russian-Jewish family’s) baby shower she’d attended, where the parents would, perhaps every thirty minutes, interrupt whatever else they were talking about to point out that their daughter was fat.

Later in the day, I nearly tripped over myself getting up from a chair in my supervisor's office, as one of my four-inch heels was caught under the bottom of the chair.

A.: Why can I not stand up?
P., smirking: Because of your stomach fat?

No comments: