Sunday, September 12, 2010

I could have been more patient

It's not mom's fault that Sunday night is the worst possible time to call me.

My goal every Sunday--one rarely achieved--is to get my laundry in at a reasonable hour, so I can dry and put it away at a reasonable hour. And then go to bed at a reasonable hour. But I won't put my laundry in until I've done everything else--cook, garden, clean, etc.--note, I am not pretending that I am working on the cure for cancer as well. But I am engaging in a variety of necessary, even if not beneficial to society, activities, and ones that result in dirty clothes and dishcloths. So by around 7pm, I'm usually failing miserably in terms of getting everything done. And the failure is stressing me out, and I need to get busy with my chores rather than talk to someone.

I didn't mind that mom called, per se. It was when she started to waste my time that I got testy.

Mom initially relayed the entire Verizon saga. Then we talked about something else (and I managed not to say, "I thought about getting you something at the Art Walk, but you probably would have just complained, so I didn't.") Then she started complaining about Verizon again.

A.: Mom, why are you telling me how evil they are? Until you call them and figure out what the bill is about, there's nothing else to be done.
Mom: I was hoping you'd call, but fine. I'll call first.
A.: I can call them. That's not a problem. [This may be the craziest week ever, work and otherwise, but I'll find time].
Mom: I just can't believe them! They didn't even...
A.: Mom, I understand.
Mom: Listen! Have patience!
A.: But I've already heard this. Several times.
Mom: Be patient!
A.: Sigh.
Mom: I could just pay them and be done with it. That would be easier.
A.: But you don't have to. Start by calling them. Telling me isn't going to help.

***
Now, by the time I've done all these things, and also, hopefully, done something fun, I want to sit on my butt and read or watch 30 Rock or something. At that point, I'd be somewhat more patient with regard to a call from mom. But not with a talkative roommate.

No comments: