Sunday, September 5, 2010

Who knew

Mom: Did you know that Ella's leg got crushed?
A.: No! What happened??!
Mom: Well, you know, she has two girls--you know, she absolutely adores those two girls--and did you know that the girls...
A.: Mom, what happened to her leg?
Mom: I'm getting there!

She eventually gets there, and then goes on about a friend of hers--an old family friend--and eventually arrives to the following:

Mom: She keeps suggesting that I hook you up with her son, but I keep telling her that I wish him better than that. You would destroy him in an instant.
A.: ??
Mom: You're cold, you're harsh, you're rude, and you're entirely without warmth. Given the opportunity to 'choke off one's neck,' you'd do it. You think you know everything, and that you do everything best, and every time someone doesn't do that thing the way you do, you judge them. You deem them inferior.

***
This is especially fascinating to me because I'm not really good at most things. I'm not sure what things I'd judge people on. I have no musical/artistic/creative talents, nor am I good at anything practical (computer/home/car repair). What am I going to judge people on? What, exactly, are people going to fall short on, as far as I'm concerned? Sure, I can write, and believe that being able to string two sentences together is a basic skill, but I don't go around skewering people for their writing skills (or lack thereof). Is mom projecting again? Where does she get this $hit?

No comments: