Saturday, September 4, 2010

Saturday morning

Mom: What time are you getting back?
A.: I don't know. Do you need me back at a certain time, before [family friends] get here [at 5ish]?
Mom: No. But what time are you getting back?
A.: I. don't. know.
Mom: Why the tone?
A.: Because you've asked me already, and I've answered the question.
Mom: Why don't you know?
A.: Mom!
Mom: I don't understand why you can't decide right now what time you'll get back.
A.: Because I don't want to operate my weekend hike on a schedule.

***
Mom: I don't understand how he knew.
A.: ??
Dad: She's talking about the movie.

We watched "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" last night. The only way I was going to watch it and get it back to Netflix was to bring it here. And I thought my parents might enjoy it.

Mom: The father. How'd he know the baby was going to age backwards?
A.: He didn't.
Mom: He knew something.
A.: He knew the baby was ugly/funny-looking.
Mom: All babies are ugly/funny-looking.

At least she's consistent. She has told me that I was hideous as a newborn.

A.: Most don't make you recoil. There was clearly something not right about this one.
Mom: I think he knew.
A.: Okay.
Mom: And how did he know where to take him?
A.: He didn't.
Mom: I think he did.
A.: I'm not going to argue with you about your interpretation, but I also can't explain it to you.

I'd somehow forgotten the realities of watching a movie with my mother. There were lots of "why" questions during and after.

***
Mom: I got some great dishwashing liquid at the dollar store. I bought several bottles--I can give you some to take home. Oh, wait--you can't carry them on.
A.: Thanks, but I'm not going to travel with dishwashing liquid in any case, mom.
Mom: I don't know what you do without all these great stores.
A.: [shrug]

I did not say:
(1) pay thirty cents more for less watered down dish liquid;
(2) buy dish liquid on sale at one of the many stores within walking distance;
(3) get in my car to drive to the dollar store to pay a dollar for dish liquid.

***
Early yesterday

Mom, extending a slice of peach: Here, try this.
A.: No, thank you.
Mom: Just try it.
A.: I don't want it, mom.
Mom: What's the harm, just try it!
A.: (1) I'm stuffed; and (2) I just brushed my teeth.
Mom: Big deal! Brush them again.
A.: I don't want to eat anything right now, much less something that's going to taste like toothpaste.

Last night, after dinner

Mom: Have a peach!
A.: No, thanks, mom.
Mom: What's wrong with peaches?
A.: I'm just really full. I might have one later.
Mom: They're good.
A.: I believe you.

No comments: