Sunday, March 1, 2009

On community

Part of me--the part that is my mother's child--appreciates this guy's f*-you to city officials. They have so much power, can be so uncooperative and or finicky, can turn other people's projects into nightmares... so I can't blame him for fighting back. Besides, can the city really complain about a thriving business that brings in sales taxes?

In a broader perspective on community relations, Michelle Singletary takes on the self-righteous. I'm the first to wish I didn't have to pay my homebuyer credit back, but I do thing some perspective is in order. Consider the plight of the underemployed. My dad went through this in the late 1990s and it wasn't a fun situation.

Trenchant as always, Frank Rich parses the partisan politics of the week and worries about populist rage.

***
I'm a little concerned that an article on education belongs in the Times' fashion section; it is that placement that justifies the sanctimony rising within me when I read it: yes, people, private education is expensive-- and quality education shouldn't depend on parents' income. Perhaps we can invest in quality public education?

No comments: