Sunday, March 22, 2009

The search narrows

Oh, there was the roommate candidate that came by. I'd said I'd call him on Sunday after my parents took off, but they ended up staying into the evening, so I told him to just come by whenever.

Mom: Why do you want to live with a guy?
A.: I have no preferences either way.
Mom: So, overall, you'd rather live with a woman.
A.: It depends a lot more on the individual person.
Mom: So who all stopped by earlier in the week?
A.: A number of people...
Mom: I want to meet this guy, assess whether he'd be a good fit.
A.: Okay.

The guy comes by, sees the house, says hello to the parents.

Mom: I couldn't see what state his license plate was from. That worries me.
A.: Why?
Mom: It's sketchy. His license plate number was [______]. Write it down.
A.: What am I going to do with his license plate number??
Mom: Just in case.
A.: Just in case what? What would I do with a license plate number just in case?
Mom: You never know who's out there.
A.: Yes, and a license plate number helps me how?
Mom: Anyway, what did he say?
A.: He appeared interested in the room.
Mom: So did you make arrangements?
A.: No, I'm still showing it to one or two people during the week.
Mom: So what next?
A.: Next I show it to the other people, and then decide which I'd rather live with, and see if they're still interested.
Mom: How do you know?
A.: By meeting them, as well as asking them questions.

***
Later, the guy who came by called and said he was really interested in the room. I told him I had to leave it open until Tuesday, but he'd be the ideal roommate. Months ago, when I was trying to rent out the two rooms to someone for more, I was all about 'I want this person to feel like this is their home, too,' but now that I've been living here on my own for a few months, I'm over it. I do kind of want someone who's not going to be around a lot or have friends over. I don't expect that, but there is something appealing about someone who lives-lives a few hours away with his family but needs a place during the work week. Also, he was polite and not weird. So we'll see.

No comments: