Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rambling observations of a business traveler

I like exactly two things about staying in hotels, both of which speak to how lazy I am: (1) it's so easy to go to the gym, get back, and clean up and (2) the iron and board is right there, i.e. where my clothes are. I don't have to bring them down and then up a flight of stairs.

***
My world view changed on Wednesday. Up to that point, I never thought a direct flight could be anything but preferable; that afternoon, however, my colleagues and I embarked on the longest three-hour flight we'd ever experienced. The aircraft was tiny. Nobody could approach an overhead bin without positioning one part of their body, or another, in the face of the passenger in the aisle seat below. We were relieved to have the return flight in two segments, and even more so when the second segment involved a fuller-sized plane. It was heavenly.

Have you ever changed planes--changed terminals, in particular--in Detroit? It's quite a chi-chi airport--fountains and everything--but to transfer, you go through this funky, psychedelic tunnel.

The airport has large windows, a feature I noticed in many buildings in Des Moines as well. It must be great for using daylight, but I hope that glass is very well insulated.

***
Iowa's State House is beautiful. I'm really glad I don't work there, though, because the vending machines, which carry ice cream, would really get to me. Thankfully, my workplace only has crappy vending machines.

One evening, we headed to the Des Moines Art Center, which generally has some amazing stuff, and until Sunday, in particular has Grant Wood's "American Gothic" on display in an exhibit called, “After Many Springs: Regionalism, Modernism & the Midwest.” It was surreal to see the original painting, but the entire exhibit was very cool. The exhibit juxtaposed-- maybe that's too strong a word, I don't want to imply too much contrast--Grant Wood, Jackson Pollock, Charles Sheeler, Philip Guston, and Thomas Hart Benton, for example. I didn't know they were contemporaries, but seeing it all together really put their individual art in context.

***
Gracie's crying outside my door and trying to break in, but she's not getting in-- I need my sleep. I had to yell at her today, too-- it's like she knows when I'm in a hurry and have no time for her whining, and she insists on being especially needy at those times.

I got in late last night, got to bed even later. I'm pretty impressed with myself for pulling off my part of the rose drop, not to mention (my part of) the shower. I'm ready for another vacation (emotionally; physically, I could be a lot more ready).

Oh, before I go: Gail Collins had a good column today.

No comments: