Monday, March 2, 2009

Crazy Monday

Check out this photo gallery-- there are some great pictures in general, but what's currently the seventh photo caught my eye in particular: "A Metro employee attempts to keep the a strip of platform clear for riders on at the Vienna station." (Karen Bleier-AFP/Getty Images). It's days like these when it's obvious that most members of the Metro board don't actually use the system, because if they did, they'd know that that tile is an accident waiting to happen. It's treacherous on a dry day and pretty hazardous with even minimal water on the platform; today it was a skating rink. I mean, look at it! And while you're at it, check out the other neat photos.

***
When I shoveled this morning--twice--I thought, 'what's the point, it's just going to get covered again,' but I knew it would be easier to shovel again if I cleared what was already there, and to my very pleasant surprise, the snow that covered my walkway and sidewalk outside my house was melted when I got home. It was so nice not to have to do any more shoveling. Sometimes doing the work ahead of time actually does pay off.

***
I know you're as excited as I am by the resolution of my dryer issue, because it means you won't have to hear more about it. Together with my earlier homeowner experiences, I'm wondering whether I could moonlight as a consultant as to how to respond to requests for estimates and service. Here are some tips:

-Is it that hard to be polite/professional on the phone and in e-mail?? Try it.
-None of this "we can't provide an estimate without coming out, and we'll charge you $35 for coming out" BS
-Nor any $35 for the call plus $160 an hour and who knows how long it will take
-If you're advertising on Craigslist, for example, you'd best not charge the same fee as Sears. And for you snobs out there, don't worry about craigslist. Craigslist got me, in addition to my very first apartment in DC, the one I just moved out of after four-plus years, my car, the great electrician, the great mechanic/window guy, and now a great plumber. They're all licensed, too. But I digress.

Here is the winning estimate and most professional response (okay so there's little punctuation in the e-mail but I've learned to pick my battles):

"sure I would love to come by and install your dryer for you. I charge $155.00 and I can haul away the old one if you like, and If you are interested I am available any time this week at your convenience."

Look at that: a price! a time frame! an offer to 'haul away the old one'! How wonderful!

This is the kind of service I don't mind paying for. I mean, don't get me wrong: there are plenty of things I'd rather do with $155 than pay for a service I thought was included-- but I'm not furious about it the way I would be if I were paying it (not to mention $25 more) to Sears [actually, it came out to $190 because there was a bird's nest--don't worry, no birds--blocking the vent]. This way, I'm helping a small/local plumber who is not obnoxious, doesn't keep me on hold or transfer me five times, and lets me choose when he'll come out. Someone has to help the economy, and if it has to be me I'd rather shift my business away from the company that screwed me over and toward someone with manners.

Anyway, my dryer is installed and working; the paint is back in the utility room, and the utility room is looking as good as it ever will; and I'm going on vacation in less than 72 hours. Now if only the 'nature's emergency fund' around my gut would deplete itself as quickly and easily as the emergency fund in my bank account... but I guess I can deal with that when I get back.

***
Okay, this is an occasion to say "poor cat." I really hope she's okay. I have to say, though, if the same effect can be achieved humanely, I'm all for it. I had not thought of that-- and I couldn't get away with it and, say, keep my job--but maybe I'll get her a leash and walk her where there's some second-hand...

No comments: