Sunday, March 1, 2009

Phone call

A.: Hello?
Mom: Where are you?
A.: Home; why?
Mom: Not driving-- I have to make sure.

I rarely pick up the phone when driving, and when I do, I say, "I'm driving, I'll call you back." But I suppose one can never be too careful.

Mom: I found two issues of [old magazines] in your room. Do you need them?
A.: No, you can toss those. Thanks for asking.
Mom: I figured you didn't need them, but dad insists that I not throw anything of yours out without checking with you first.
A.: Rightly so.
Mom: Oh, please. How's the weather?
A.: It's fine. It's snowing.

Pause

A.: Have you thought any more about whether you'll come down on the 21st? I have theatre tickets for that day, so if you do come down I'll either change them or get you tickets as well.
Mom: What is it?
A.: "Dog in the Manger." The reviews are quite good.
Mom: Opera? Ballet?
A.: It's a play.
Mom: I don't know-- I've stopped going to plays because there's a lot that I don't catch.
A.: Understandable. Well, do you know if you'll come down that weekend?
Mom: On the other hand, maybe we will go. I'll think about it.
A.: Well, I'd like to know sooner rather than later so I can change my ticket or get you one.
Mom: Well, I don't know.
A.: Okay, think about it and let me know.
Mom: I just don't know.
A.: Well, just think about it!
Mom: Okay.

No comments: