Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's shaping up to be an interesting weekend

What I'm about to write will surprise few of you: Mom's not here yet, and she's already driving me nuts.

A. So, what time were you thinking of leaving Boston tomorrow?
Mom: V.!!
A.: Mom, please don't scream into the phone.
Mom: I was screaming for your father.
A.: I understand, but it's still my ear on the other end.
Mom: Well, remove your ear.
A.: I don't know when you're about to scream.
Mom: Anyway, do you want the small dresser/table that
's been in your old room?
A.: Possibly...
Mom: Oh, that's too bad. I kind of wanted to keep it.
A.: Then keep it. I don't need it. What I need is a night table or something that will function as one...
Mom: Well, this could function as one.
A.: Yes, but I don't need it. I'll find one eventually. Just keep yours.
Mom: I'll just bring it.
A.: No, just don't.
Mom: For vegetables, I'm bringing you zucchini, eggplant, pepper, broccoli...
A.: We won't need all that, mom... I have...
Mom: Yes we do. We eat vegetables with every meal.
A.: So do I. I have vegetables in my house.

Okay, so earlier in the week, mom asked what vegetables she could bring. I said whatever she had that might not keep through the weekend and listed some vegetables I commonly consume. I did not intend for her to vegetable shop for me. I'm now putting the puzzle pieces together: last time I was in Boston, I bought some vegetables to take to DC with me... because I'd be getting in on a Monday night and wouldn't have time to food-shop before the work week. It's not because I don't have access to grocery stores.

Mom: We'll bring that dresser, too.
A.: Please don't.
Mom: V.!!!
A.: Mom!
Mom: What?
A.: Could you not scream into the phone?
Mom: What else should we bring?
A.: Nothing. I mean, just the vacuum cleaner [that I bought when I was in Boston and couldn't fit in my luggage].
Mom: Okay. I also have some leeks, dried mushrooms-- do you need those?
A.: No, I still have some from the last time you gave me some.
Mom: I'll pack some anyway just in case. They're good for you.
A.: Mom, I don't need to make room for stuff I don't need.
Mom: I'm bringing your old books too. V.!!!
A.: Mom, please don't scream into the phone!
Mom: Well, I don't know where your father is. We'll call later.
A.: Okay. Bye, mom.

No comments: