Saturday, February 28, 2009

You're going to keep missing the point until you see the movie

I went to Target today for some pre-trip shopping-- and almost forgave them for the pot rack situation because it was really, really nice to be able to get everything from snorkeling gear to sunblock to high efficiency laundry detergent in one store. I also looked at but did not buy snack bars (or as Target cleverly chooses to call them, "nutrition bars"). Large block letters across the wrapper of a set of PowerBar products spelled out "ELECTROLYTES." I almost got some for the garden I'm starting. After all, it's what plants crave.
***

I talked to my parents this afternoon. Not a whole lot to report, but mom did worry that the call was dropped whenever I didn't respond within a split second or otherwise:

Mom: So, we took that bamboo piece of furniture and moved it outside. Hello? HELLO?
A.: Yes, I'm here, I hear you.

[More conversation]

Mom: What are you up to this weekend?
A.: ...
Mom: Hello? HELLO?
A.: I'm here, mom. I'm getting together with some friends and just getting ready for my trip.
Mom: What's there to get ready for?

Keep in mind that about a year ago, mom was getting ready for the trip to China at 3am.

A.: Charging batteries, figuring out what to pack and what to pack it in, figuring out what I need to buy.
Mom: Okay, I see. When do you get back?
A.: Two Fridays from now.
Mom: We'll visit at the end of the month.
A.: Just not the last weekend in March.
Mom: Why?
A.: Because I have plans for the last weekend in March.

We went over this a few days ago. We'll probably go over it again soon.

Note that mom isn't being mean; this shift in tone, actually, is change I can believe in. We all have our moments of absentmindedness; as long as mom's not (a) trying to manage my career (b) calling me a shrew or otherwise insulting me or (c) recounting detailed stories and ten minutes later asking me to put them into a complaint letter, I really can't complain.

No comments: